Renting a car in New Zealand offers several advantages. You can get the car you want and travel at your own pace. You’ll also find several car rental companies, which means you’re bound to come across varying prices.
When using car hire services from the Christchurch airport, the cost goes beyond the rental fee itself. Little extras can easily add up. Hence, it always pays to study which add-ons are worth it and know how you can save money on car rental.
Here are some tips to help you do just that.
- Search for deals and compare prices. Always be on the lookout for promotional offers, discounts, and deals by car rental companies. If you are targeting a specific company, check out recent updates on their website or social media accounts. You might just earn discount coupons or codes. Also, use price comparison sites to find out which company offers the best price.
- Go during off-season. Anywhere you go, prices tend to decrease during the off-season. The same applies to NZ. Consider going to the country from March to October. This is when there is less amount of tourists traveling to the country. Not only will you be able to score great deals on car hire services, but you’ll also have better chances of enjoying attractions all to yourself. Before you go, though, familiarize yourself about the challenges you’re likely to encounter. For example, going to New Zealand during the winter will require a different set of gears and probably a different itinerary, too.
- Book ahead of time. Whether you’re planning to travel to NZ during off or high seasons, it pays to book car rental services from Christchurch airport early. Chances are you’ll find early bird offers especially if you’re renting for a long period. If you’re reserving a car the at last minute, you’ll have limited options and prices will be higher, too. While you’re at it, check the price difference between various pick-up and drop-off times. Give yourself plenty of time, especially during the drop-off, so you can avoid charges for late returns
- Be flexible. Like flights, car rental prices can vary from one day to another. Don’t get too fixated on dates and check which days give you the best value for your money. Take note of your car rental dates as you check available flights. You’ll want to give yourself some rest and let the jet lag pass before picking up your car.
- Book direct. Avoid extra charges associated with booking from third-party agents. Go directly to the car rental company’s website. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the team. Read through the fine print. If you are going with a young driver, make it clear with the car hire site which rules they implement. This may cost you extra fees on a daily basis.
Finding cheap car rental services from Christchurch airport or anywhere in New Zealand is always possible. By starting off early, you avoid the rush and give yourself enough time to make decisions. NZ is an exciting country for road travels and even more so if you’re using a reliable vehicle.